“Drone shots add a whole other dimension to your visual story.”

Drone footage adds a whole other dimension to your content, and gives your audience the chance to see familiar places and objects from new and unique angles. With the advent of drones (UAVs/ RPAs), it’s now more affordable than ever to film and photograph from the air. Conceptavision is approved by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) to fly drones commercially, and we are so excited to offer this as an option to our suite of services!

You can read our Drone Footage FAQs, and please contact us if you have any unanswered questions still. Otherwise, you can complete our Drone Quote Form with your specific requirements for a detailed quote.

Drone Footage FAQs

What are drones/ UAVs/ RPAs?

a. Drones are unmanned aircraft that are guided remotely. When referring to the types of drones that are used for photography or video purposes other terms used are “unmanned aerial vehicle” (UAV) and “remotely piloted aircraft” (RPA).

b. In general, these terms can be used interchangeably.

What’s so special about drones?

a. Less expensive than helicopters and more flexible than using a conventional dolly, drones can literally add more angles to your video content than ever before. Due to their small size and high level of manoeuvrability, UAVs can also fly closer and in unique spaces compared to a helicopter.

b. With such a variety of UAV models available on the market, there’s never been so much opportunity to photograph and film from above. It’s now possible and affordable to film people, buildings, events, landmarks, nature, animals, whatever, from the air.

Do companies have to be approved to fly drones?

a. In Australia it’s illegal for an operator to fly a drone for commercial gain if they are not CASA certified. However, if their drone weighs under 2kg the law does permit them to operate commercially without certification. It’s important to note though, that without CASA certification a drone operator does not qualify for public liability insurance to cover the flight operation. A drone operator who doesn’t hold public liability insurance for drone operations is risking huge public liability costs if there is an incident while operating. Plus, if an operator isn’t certified, the chances are extremely high that they are unfamiliar with the many rules and regulations that cover all drone operations . This means that the risks are twofold: that the operator is not covered for insurance; and that they are inexperienced in safe flight procedures.

Therefore it’s important that when you’re considering hiring a company for aerial video or photography, that they are certified by CASA. Certified companies are listed here.

b. In Australia UAVs are regulated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

c. For drone operators working commercially and flying drones that weigh over 2kg, the person operating the UAV must hold a current Remote Pilot Licence, and in addition the UAV must be flown under a company that holds a current Unmanned Operator Certificate (UOC). The assessment and approval process is rigorous and safety-focused.

d. If you hire a company that isn’t certified, this also means that they would not be insured for public liability should damage be caused by their drone/s. To be insured for public liability, the company must first be CASA-approved to fly drones commercially.

e. There are companies who are operating drones without the required CASA approval. Operating without approval risks a heavy fine, as well as the possibility of legal liability should damage be caused by UAV operations.

Do companies have to be insured for drone operations?

a. Every company conducting UAV operations should hold a current public liability insurance policy specifically covering UAV operations. As for any media project, it is important to know that the company you work with has the appropriate insurances in place to help protect against public liability.

How much does it cost for aerial footage?

a. Our rates range from $1,000 to $2,000 +GST per day depending on specific requirements. This price includes an operator and camera assistant. If travel to the location will take over 2 hours from Sydney this will be at an additional charge, to cover travel costs.

b. We believe in transparency and “no surprises”, so just get in touch if you have further questions about price and we would be more than happy to talk through your project and provide an obligation-free quote.

c. Because we are a full service video production company, if you decide to fly with us we will also give you a discount on the editing of your footage if this is something you would like us to take care of.

Can drones fly anywhere?

a. Our CASA certification covers us for UAV operations Australia-wide.

b. Depending on the needs of your project and where specifically you wish to fly, we may need to lodge a flight request. This may be at an additional charge (depending on the application required), and approval can take up to 28 days – depending on specific requirements.

c. If you have a project in mind, just contact us in the first instance and we’ll work through the details. For example, some areas require approval on weekdays but not on weekends. Therefore by contacting us first we can help advise on areas that would be most appropriate to film your project.